[tor-talk] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 09:04:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Libertas <libertas at mykolab.com> wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea to add OpenBSD to doc/TUNING because [...]
> promoting OpenBSD relays benefits the Tor network's security.

Absolutely. Not just due to OpenBSD's security positioning, but
moreso from network diversity. Windows is its own world. But if
you're a Unix admin there's no reason Linux should be deployed
20x more often than [Free/Open]BSD. It's ridiculously counter
to meeting diversity goals, especially with bandwith weighting
if one platform is getting grossly disproportionate traffic than another.
Just pick one of the two BSD's and run it instead. FreeBSD
in particular is well suited to the OS and network needs of Tor.
And knowing how to admin more Unixes will serve any admin well.

5950 Linux
1593 Windows
 173 FreeBSD
  55 Darwin