[tor-talk] Facebook brute forcing hidden services

Lars Boegild Thomsen lth at reclaim-your-privacy.com
Sat Nov 1 09:52:43 UTC 2014

On Saturday 01 November 2014 04:22:22 grarpamp wrote:
> Such non optional elements, and choices, powers and rights
> removed from the user, are in direct opposition to the principles
> of Tor and anonymity. Normally support for onion/i2p is good thing,
> but when still backed by crap like this it's largely meaningless.

Wikipedia describe "Privacy" as "the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves, or information about themselves, and thereby express themselves selectively" - the key here being "selectively".  Using Facebook is a choice - users of Facebook chose to accept the terms.  What is, at least in some cases, not a choice is ISP's monitoring usage data of their customers and selling such data.  By using Facebook as a hidden service at least it is clearly a matter of what I choose to tell Facebook and I don't have to worry about someone else spying on the traffic.  I agree that in the end that boils down to if you trust Facebook or not :)

Personally I think it is immensely cool that Facebook did this and I can't wait to see if Twitter and/or Google feel they have to follow that one.

--
Lars Boegild Thomsen
https://reclaim-your-privacy.com