[tor-talk] [OT[ New web-cookie policies on internet

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Fri May 30 17:58:31 UTC 2014

* on the Fri, May 30, 2014 at 09:32:15AM -0500, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>> It has to do with some law in the EU[1] that apparently isn't
>>> enforced[2] (at least in the UK).  It is actually a few years old.
>> Myself and a few other people have been slowly building an Adblock
>> filter list to remove these cookie warnings from sites for about 2
>> years now:
>>
> That's good, but how will blocking the "cookies required" pop ups or
> redirected page notices help, when many sites largely *won't work,*
> unless cookies are allowed (at least, 1st party)?

It doesn't help in that regard, and doesn't claim to.

> I've encountered quite a few sites (not 100's) where pages won't even
> load until session / temp cookies are allowed.  3rd party cookies are
> blocked.
>
> Generally, I delete these 1st party cookies as soon as the page / tab is
> closed - which is kind of a pain.  If these 1st party cookies (used
> today) were not deleted, not sure they'd pose any privacy threat, like
> 3rd party cookies.

That can be entirely automated:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/

Deletes the cookies and local storage that a site created when you
close the tab.

--
Mike Cardwell  https://grepular.com https://emailprivacytester.com
OpenPGP Key    35BC AF1D 3AA2 1F84 3DC3   B0CF 70A5 F512 0018 461F