[tor-talk] [OT[ New web-cookie policies on internet

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri May 30 14:32:15 UTC 2014

On 5/30/2014 2:11 AM, Mike Cardwell wrote:
> * on the Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:40:24PM -0400, Michael Wolf wrote:
>
>>> Anyone else noticing slashdot, google, and a few
>>> other big ones i can't recall, now throwing annoying
>>> popups with 'hey, we're using cookies, click to agree
>>> to this' ? What new legal groupthink bs is behind this?
>> It has to do with some law in the EU[1] that apparently isn't
>> enforced[2] (at least in the UK).  It is actually a few years old.
> Myself and a few other people have been slowly building an Adblock
> filter list to remove these cookie warnings from sites for about 2
> years now:

That's good, but how will blocking the "cookies required" pop ups or
redirected page notices help, when many sites largely *won't work,*
unless cookies are allowed (at least, 1st party)?

I've encountered quite a few sites (not 100's) where pages won't even
load until session / temp cookies are allowed.  3rd party cookies are
blocked.

Generally, I delete these 1st party cookies as soon as the page / tab is
closed - which is kind of a pain.  If these 1st party cookies (used
today) were not deleted, not sure they'd pose any privacy threat, like
3rd party cookies.