[tor-talk] how to stream videos using Tor

Michael Wolf mikewolf at riseup.net
Tue May 27 21:03:01 UTC 2014

On 5/27/2014 4:14 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>> Please don't use Tor for this.  Use a proxy or VPN.  Streaming
>>> high-quality video uses way too much bandwidth, and it doesn't seem like
>>> you actually need the anonymity that Tor provides.
>>>
>>> -- Mike
>>> --
>
> On 5/27/2014 2:25 PM, John Henry wrote:
>> Thanks. I actually do need the anonymity, but I use Tor for everything
>> and
>> I just thought it would be less of a hassle to use Tor than to switch to
>> another browser just for streaming.
> Same here, John.  I don't use Tor for watching cats playing piano or
> music vids, either.  I use TBB for research (sometimes including vids)
> for quite serious matters, like health & legal, that we don't want
> others logging our activity.
>
> If Tor becomes strictly limited to "serious journalists, activists or
> whistle blowers - in fear of their life or freedom," there probably
> won't be a large enough crowd on the network to make it safe / anonymous.

Nobody is suggesting that Tor be limited to "serious journalists,
activists or whistle blowers..."  I /am/ suggesting that in most cases
it's inconsiderate and unnecessary to use Tor for streaming Netflix, a
high-bandwidth entertainment service that you typically pay for using a
method linked to your identify.  Perhaps Mr. Henry has found a way to
pay anonymously or has some unique circumstances.  For most streamers, a
VPN will perform better while achieving the same goals, without taxing
the tor network.

-- Mike