[tor-talk] OK to disable TorLauncher addon in TBB in Transparent Torification Setup?

Patrick Schleizer adrelanos at riseup.net
Mon May 26 21:00:15 UTC 2014

Nusenu:
> I'm running Torbrowser on a system that is transparently routed through
> Tor. Is it OK to disable the TorLauncher Addon within Torbrowser in such
> a setup or has that any negative consequences?

Using TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH is tested by more people. See:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/WebBrowsers#UseTorBrowserwithoutbundledTorNIX

> Is it ok to start TBB via directly executing
> tor-browser_en-US/Browser/firefox instead of using the default
> start-tor-browser script?

No. (It would use the wrong [system default] profile folder.)

> (background: I can't execute that script multiple times concurrently to
> open a new URL in an existing torbrowser session.)

Try this:
/home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/firefox --profile
"Data/Browser/profile.default" --new-tab "torproject.org"

(Need to adjust paths.)

[Soon a tb-launcher package might get released by me for this purpose.
Then you can type "torbrowser --new-tab link" and a new link will be
opened in existing browser session.]