[tor-talk] OK to disable TorLauncher addon in TBB in Transparent Torification Setup?

unknown unknown at pgpru.com
Mon May 26 18:36:02 UTC 2014

On Sun, 25 May 2014 18:49:14 +0000
Nusenu <BM-2D8wMEVgGVY76je1WXNPfo8SrpZt5yGHES at bitmessage.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Torbrowser on a system that is transparently routed through
> Tor. Is it OK to disable the TorLauncher Addon within Torbrowser in such
> a setup or has that any negative consequences?
>
> Is it ok to start TBB via directly executing
> tor-browser_en-US/Browser/firefox instead of using the default
> start-tor-browser script?

I'm running TorBrowser directly from the script, but completely remove
tor-browser_en-US/Data/Browser/profile.default/extensions/tor-lanuncher at torproject.org.xpi

Instead of use a new identity option, I close TorBrowser, make rebuild
tor circuits
from tor-arm and restart TBB again in the clean state.

I use about:config to remove annoying autocheck updates:

extensions.torbutton.test_url about:blank
extensions.torbutton.versioncheck_url about:blank

I use https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBversions
manually.

Theoreticaly, some evil scripts can read this non-standart configuration
and profile me :)