[tor-talk] General questions about Tor proxy

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Mon May 19 13:57:08 UTC 2014

On 5/18/2014 9:54 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> And your intuition might be (mine was) that removing those small
> relays really harms diversity (and thus anonymity), but actually,
> Tor's load balancing and path selection means those relays are very
> rarely chosen anyway, so they don't contribute much to the anonymity
> the Tor network can provide.
???  I don't regularly check the relays & bandwidth in my Tor
connection, but when I do, it's as common than not to see at least one
relay w/ < 10 MB/s (you used mega bit, not mega byte).

I don't look at them all the time during sessions, but when I randomly
check, probably 1/2 the time one relay is < 10 MB/s.
Could it be a fluke that I just happen to check at times when low
bandwidth relays happen to be selected?