[tor-talk] ICANN and .onion

Anders Andersson pipatron at gmail.com
Sun May 18 17:39:24 UTC 2014

A few years ago, ICANN started to accept suggestions for new top-level
domain names. A friend recently posted a .onion link to me, and it made me
realize that there might be a big problem if a company or organization
other than Tor actually registered .onion and made it work in any browser.

1) Has there been any discussions regarding the severity of the problem if
it should eventually happen? If so, are the discussions or the result of
them available online for reading?

2) Has Tor applied to ICANN about the .onion domain, or discussed the pro
and con of doing this?

I have been out of the Tor loop for a couple of years, so I'm sorry if this
topic has come up in previous discussions - regardless, I could not find an
answer.

// Anders