[tor-talk] Is Thunderbird safe to use with Tor now?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+tools at mega-nerd.com
Sat May 17 03:12:38 UTC 2014

Cypher wrote:

> Hey Everyone,
>
> I have a an account on an anonymous mail service that I created via
> Tor. I'd like to access this account via POP3/SMTP using Thunderbird.
> According to the docs[1], Thunderbird is not safe to use with Tor.
> This advice was from 2012. Have things changed? Is Thunderbird now
> safe to use with Tor or still a bit shaky?

I don't know specifically about Thunderbird, but I would not trust
any generic desktop appication to do the right thing without firewall
rules to enforce the correct behaviour, eg something like Tails [0] or
a dedicated Tor router [1].

Erik

[0] https://tails.boum.org/
[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/Torouter