[tor-talk] Firefox, Adobe, and DRM

Moritz Klammler moritz at klammler.eu
Fri May 16 16:41:34 UTC 2014

David Rajchenbach-Teller <dteller at mozilla.com> wrote:

> Alternatively, TorBrowser should be able to use IceWeasel, the
> entirely free fork of Firefox. This fork doesn't offer h.264 and will
> certainly similarly deactivate the DRM-related code.

I would very much welcome the Tor Browser Bundle shifting to use
Iceweasel or, maybe even better, GNU IceCat, as its base.  I am running
an operating system with exclusively free software and currently I
cannot / don't want to use the Tor Browser Bundle since many (all?)
libre GNU/Linux distributions (as recognized [1] by the Free Software
Foundation) consider the standard Firefox distribution as being not
100 % libre.

Mozillas decision to incorporate EME into its browser was a mistake in
my opinion.  However, it would be just great to take this as a chance
to make the Tor Browser Bundle even more libre and save many people the
headache of having to choose between a maximum of privacy and a maximum
of free software.

Regards

Moritz

[1] https://gnu.org/distros/free-distros
--
Public Key:   http://openpgp.klammler.eu
Fingerprint:  80C1 EC79 B554 3D84 0A35 A728 7057 B288 CE61 2235