[tor-talk] darkweb-everywhere - was: Using HTTPS Everywhere to redirect to .onion

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed May 14 16:27:46 UTC 2014

On 5/15/14, J.M. Porup <jm at porup.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014, at 11:53, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>> Nicolas Vigier:
>> > It's a little sad that so many people like to use the word "DarkWeb"
>> > to talk about .onion websites, because it sounds like something scary
>> > or bad.
>>
>> Agreed. The word "dark" is already a negatively perceived word. And
>> DarkWeb also has become a negatively perceived term.
>>
>> Let's find a positive term to talk about .onion websites! Any ideas?
>
> I think the likelihood of repositioning the "Dark Web" brand in
> people's minds is approximately zero.
>
> I would recommend finding a way to turn the negative into a positive.
> Embrace the negative with a joke, for instance:
>
> Use the Dark Web. "Go Over to the Dark Side."

I like the idea of using humour.

And I completely disagree that "common vernacular can't be changed".
On the other hand, a "new brand" would be much easier to reposition
than the existing brand ("dark web").

The problem I believe is two-fold:
1) we need a new term - this the easy part
2) we need a good and significant reason for people to use it

When the two happen together, we get the change.

With only one, or the other, the current term will persist. If we are
ready with a great term, then when something big - even possibly the
existing wikileaks - 'we' can start using the new term. If it rings
true, it will catch on.

On the humour front:

Dark net
 -> Light net
 -> Illuminet
 -> so we are the Illuminetti ? :)

On a new brand:
How about the Free Speech Network ?

The term "libre software" (in english, as opposed to 'free software')
is slowly catching on (it's been a few years now since I and others
have been using it, but it is catching on), so I think another term
could catch on for freedom network.

If Freenet design is truly unable to be revived, we could perhaps, at
some point, second that terminology/term - the freenet.