[tor-talk] Satori (this crazy app thing I've been working on)

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Thu May 8 22:58:39 UTC 2014

Patrick Schleizer wrote:
> Too large as in download time or your traffic bills?
> Sure, I can imagine you don't want to pay the amazon aws traffic bill.

Download time.

> Satori could download from http://mirror.whonix.de. It's not SSL. But
> also not censored yet to my knowledge. For now, I would be mostly
> interested in the automatic hash verification.

That doesn't quite work out.  I would not include something that I
didn't think would bypass filters long-term and *certainly* wouldn't
include something so easy to tamper with.  And due to the slowness of
testers' connection speeds, I wouldn't include something so large.

And the hash verification is manual, but aided by an included hash
generator.  I feel like downloading Whonix or Tails over Tor is a much
better option tbh.  Files this large would be great for torrents, but as
mentioned earlier, I'm not quite sure how the threat model shakes out.

> When someone else foots the amazon aws bill, does size still matter?

It does, in fact. I originally wanted to include Tails, but early
testing showed that downloading it was improbable.  Not to belabor the
point, but you can see on github where I removed the Tails section
entirely a week ago [1].

Not everything is about money, y'know? =/

~Griffin

[1]
https://github.com/glamrock/Satori/commit/9380cb3d2d04d5c0878006efc406ac7d63e1255a