[tor-talk] Orbot v14 alpha: obfsclient, Tor 0.2.5.3-alpha

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Sat May 3 20:18:28 UTC 2014

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

> Nathan Freitas <nathan at freitas.net> writes:

>>>Great news! Thanks!
>>>
>>>BTW, how are obfs3 bridges supposed to be used?
>>
>> This is the string I use for scramblesuit, copied directly from the bridges.tp.o page:
>>
>> scramblesuit xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxxx fingerprintxxx password=sharedsecretxxx
>>
>>>I installed Orbot-v14.0.0-ALPHA-2a.apk and checked the Preferences
>>>menu. There used to be an option called 'Obfuscated Bridges' that it's
>>>not there anymore. I assumed that I just have to specify a bridge, and
>>>then prefix it with the transport name, like you do in the torrc.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>>So I clicked on 'Bridges' and then inserted 'obfs3 <ip>:<port>' (with
>>>my own <ip> and <port>) and started up Orbot. Unfortunately, I think
>>>that it didn't work very well. In the logs I got:
>>>""""
>>>Adding bridge: obfs3 <ip>:<port>
>>
>> Hmm.... Add a fingerprint perhaps?
>>

> Hm, I just tried that bridge again (without adding a fingerprint), and
> now I'm getting the usual PT error:
> "We were supposed to connect to bridge '<ip>:<port>' using pluggable
> transport 'obfs3', but we can't find a pluggable transport proxy
> supporting 'obfs2'. ..."
>
> I'm not sure why I'm getting this today instead of the error I was
> getting yesterday [0]. I don't remember rebooting or changing
> anything.
>
> In any case, this new message usually means that obfsproxy crashed
> early: before being configured to be a Pluggable Transport. The same
> should be true for obfsclient too. Could it be a permission issue?

We played a bit with Yawning on this.

Are we sure that the ClientTransportPlugin is even set at all?

Because looking at
https://gitweb.torproject.org/orbot.git/blob/HEAD:/src/org/torproject/android/service/TorService.java#l1713
it seems that it depends on the boolean PREF_BRIDGES_OBFUSCATED which
apparently is never set since commit 147b57af4.

This seems to agree with my experience since I'm getting the log
message "Using standard bridges" which is on the 'else' codepath.

Or maybe we are missing something.