[tor-talk] Tor implementation in JavaScript / FirefoxOS

Aymeric Vitte vitteaymeric at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 12:33:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

Maybe time to subscribe to this list...

As Andreas wrote, there is the node-Tor [1] project, it's implementing
the OP and OR inside browsers, as well as on any js platform like node.
It's fully working, it does implement some other protocols on top of the
Tor protocol used for example for Peersm project [2], it is used too for
the Peersm clients and Websocket bridges [3], it can of course connect
to the Tor Websocket bridges (flash proxy), it implements whatever
necessary Tor, SSL/TLS, ws, socks, etc in js, ORDB1 to 3 are live in the
Tor network.

The target of Peersm is to have the peers (ie browsers) implement the
Tor nodes using WebRTC.

So the Onion proxy is inside the browser, then the question is: how can
I browse things with the OR inside the browser? You can easily fetch
things connecting to a Tor or Peersm bridge via Websosckets but how to
browse?

The idea is of course to get rid of the traditional SOCKS proxy, whose
configuration can be a bit painfull for some and depends on the
platform, this was the concept of [4], but definitely too much
complicate and not very user friendly for something that is implemented
inside browsers, then supposedly easy to use.

So the question remains, you should have a means to say "I am loading
http://www.example.com, direct all the requests that this page is
established with the Tor network"

This might look quite strange, but maybe something like
createObjectURL('example.com html code', reference to the transport
supporting my Tor circuits (ws, webrtc))

Regards

Aymeric

[1] https://github.com/Ayms/node-Tor
[2] http://www.peersm.com