[tor-talk] source browsing - Descriptions from https://gitweb.torproject.org are missing from blah.git/description files

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Tue Mar 18 13:03:43 UTC 2014

On 3/18/14, Nicolas Vigier <boklm at mars-attacks.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2014, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> I ask, because I have quite a few times done
>> cd torgitproject.git
>> cat description
>>
>> and have now given up trying this since the descriptions are all blank.
>
> I don't think the description file is supposed to be copied by a git
> clone, so this is normal behavior. Or did you already clone a git
> repository elsewhere and get a non blank description file ?

I don't recall this, no. Just checking some repos I have...
you are right.

A bit odd.

I guess it's because a repo can have many branches, and the
description I am thinking of (which we see on the website) really
relates to a branch, which is essentially what each git.torproject
repo is...

Hmm..

man git-clone : has no option to download "description".

Ah - well then, is there a script or 'standard way' of cloning a whole
bunch of related repos (such as on git.tor..) in a "sensible" way?

This seems like something developers would do every now and then,
especially DVCS using and geographically distributed developers...
git's home turf I thought?