[tor-talk] [RELEASE] Torsocks 2.0.0-rc5/6

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Mon Mar 17 18:59:20 UTC 2014

Hi everyone!

Here is the release candidate 5 *and* 6 for Torsocks 2.x. Unfortunately,
right after the release 5, I've noticed a critical issue that made the
new allow inbound option misbehaved quite badly so I'm immediately
releasing rc6 containing that fix. Basically, you can ignore rc5 if you
prefer. Sorry for that!

A new option has been introduced to allow inbound connections (that were
previously blocked in rc4).

The torsocks.conf new option is "AllowInbound 0|1" set to 0 by default
meaning listen/accept is *blocked* for remote connections only so the
localhost is *alway* allowed. This fixes the "ssh -L/-D" use cases to
open a listening socket. Again, *by default* any localhost socket will
work so this example out of the box should work properly:

$ ssh -D8080 yourserver.com

You will notice a "listen: Operation not permitted" with the above
command because by default ssh tries to connect to IPv6 localhost but
fail somehow. I'm aware of the issue but will need much more
investiguation to fix but it's not a show stopper.

Furthermore, whois was not working because fclose() is used to close the
socket and torsocks was not tracking that call thus failing to see the
close connection. This was NOT triggering any leak but whois was simply
not working. This has been fixed which is an important use case for
Tails.

Here is the change log for both versions.

2014-03-17 torsocks 2.0.0-rc6
    * Fix: set addr len for getsockname in accept
    * Fix: use socket fd and NOT sockaddr in accept

2014-03-17 torsocks 2.0.0-rc5
    * Fix: strict aliasing in library
    * Add fclose() support
    * Fix: add torsocks.conf option type
    * Add option to allow inbound connections
    * Fix: handle NULL node in getaddrinfo

Again, as usual, and forever! *please* code review, test and most
importantly report any issues. Contribution ftw! :)

Git: https://github.com/dgoulet/torsocks.git
(mirror: https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/dgoulet/torsocks.git)

Github tarball: https://github.com/dgoulet/torsocks/archive/v2.0.0-rc6.tar.gz
TPO Tarball: https://people.torproject.org/~dgoulet/torsocks-2.0.0-rc6.tar.bz2