[tor-talk] Fundamental differences between Onion Routing and The Onion Router

Maimun Rizal maimun.rizal at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 17 12:00:32 UTC 2014

Dear All,

Where I can find information about the fundamental differences between
Onion Routing (OR) and The Onion Router (TOR)?

what I know is The OR allow repeated use of router, for example, Routers
used as entry relay can be used again as the exit relay when the path
length of the network is more than two relays. However, this does not
allow in TOR network.

and also, TOR network has been added perfect forward secrecy, congestion
control, directory servers, integrity checking, configurable exit
policies, and practical design for location-hidden services via
rendezvous point that all features were not formerly found in Onion
Routing (OR).

How about selection of the routers? TOR network select relays on TOR
users side (vidalia), so the user can select multiple relays to be used
as an entry or exit relays. the OR?

Thanks,
Best Regards,
MR