[tor-talk] Blacklists

Rick rerushg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:01:44 UTC 2014

On 03/13/2014 07:18 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> I just tried cleantechnica in TBB 3.5.2 & it workica okay-ica. No
> cookies but scripts globally allowed in NoScript - temporarily.
> Re-tried it after blocking all scripts & clearing cache. Still worked
> - so maybe you did some good when you complained?
>
> On 3/13/2014 5:42 PM, C B wrote:
>> I just complained to a company that I got a 403 from using TBB when I
>> went to their website, and they said they had no control, their
>> webhost was doing it, but passed the information on to them, and this
>> is the response from the webhost:
>>
>> I checked with the team and our system doesn't specifically block Tor
>> but we do have security provisions in place to detect malicious
>> attacks against the system (such as potential DoS attacks). Given the
>> nature of Tor, it could be that these users are being picked up by
>> the system.
>>
>> Are they seeing specific errors (like a 50x error)? We may be able to
>> get a ticket going so that the team can dig in a bit further.  Also,
>> if they provide their originating IP address, we can check our logs
>> for more details.
>>   This is the site I was trying to reach.
>> http://cleantechnica.com/2013/10/23/tesla-model-s-optimized-for-autobahn-video/
>>
>> --
>> Christopher Booth
>>
>> ________________________________

Sounds like an exit issue, not a client issue. The host at some time
detected unsavory activity from an IP address so they tagged it. It was
probably an exit relay that has no knowledge of any of this. CB tried to
access the site and happened to draw the blocked exit relay. Joe got a
different circuit so no problem.
Under this scenario CB should have access with a different circuit.
I've got the "reverse problem" as a small exit. I tried to access a site
in the clear and could not do it. After some head scratching I tried TBB
and got in no problem. So my address got tagged because of something
that passed through me.

Rick