[tor-talk] Advice on XMPP as a hidden service

Cypher cypher at cpunk.us
Fri Mar 7 08:01:57 UTC 2014

On Mar 6, 2014, at 3:44, Mike Cardwell <tor at lists.grepular.com> wrote:

> * on the Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 02:02:50AM -0600, Cypher wrote:
>>

>> 1. Let's say my hidden service is xxxcf.onion. What would the users
>> final JID be? Would they still be user at chat.cpunk.us or would the
>> onion address come into play?
>
> Depends. When somebody adds "user at chat.cpunk.us" into their XMPP
> client
> it will do a DNS SRV lookup of "_xmpp-server._tcp.chat.cpunk.us" and
> currently will receive "chat.cpunk.us" as the response, and so connect
> to the host "chat.cpunk.us". I think a lot of clients fall back to
> connecting directly to the A/AAAA record if the SRV record lookup
> fails.
> So you *could* just add an additional higher priority SRV record to
> chat.cpunk.us containing your onion address. I assume in this
> situation
> most clients would try to connect to the .onion address, fail
> immediately
> because they're not using Tor, and then fall back to the 2nd SRV
> record
> "chat.cpunk.us"
>
> However, there are probably many badly written clients out there which
> will fail in lots of exotic ways. Allowing people to sign up with
> "user at example.onion", would help the service work with clients that
> don't
> support SRV records. People using Tor wouldn't be able to do SRV
> lookups
> anyway as they're not supported by the Tor resolver. It would also
> prevent
> DNS spoofing. "user at example.onion" should also help avoid various
> leaks
> that clients might have.

Hmm, good points. Though I wonder if force might me something needed
in this case: use a properly functioning client or go elsewhere. My
reasoning is that I have to wonder if a developer who isn't capable of
writing DNS related code could be trusted to implement proper crypto.
Since our server tries to focus on secure communication, perhaps this
could be a teachable moment and help the Tor network at the same time.