[tor-talk] Problems installing Tor on my server

Duncan Drury d.drury at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 22:47:47 UTC 2014

I already asked this question via the help address, and was redirected here.

I'm trying to install Tor on my Centos5 server.  I have been running an old
version of Tor as a relay for several years, installed via yum from one of
the Centos repos.  I realised I wasn't doing anyone any favours by running
an old version, and decided to upgrade.

I'm encountering errors, and wanted to know whether this is because tor now
requires Centos > 5, or there is a simple solution to what I am seeing, or
perhaps there is some problem with your repos.

Here's the detail.

I added a repo to yum using the repo file described at
https://www.torproject.org/docs/rpms.html.en

[tor]
name=Tor experimental repo
enabled=1
baseurl=http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/el/6/$basearch/
gpgkey=
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/RPM-GPG-KEY-torproject.org.EL5.asc

[tor-source]
name=Tor experimental source repo
enabled=1
autorefresh=0
baseurl=http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/el/6/SRPMS
gpgkey=
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/RPM-GPG-KEY-torproject.org.EL5.asc

When I do `sudo yum install tor` I get the following output with error
messages:

tor
                               | 2.9 kB     00:00
tor/primary_db
                                | 4.1 kB     00:00
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/el/6/i386/repodata/954636937b2fab5e61880b5e2e74766d3d06d3625a7048b4e4379d3bc74aac22-primary.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno -3] Error performing checksum
Trying other mirror.
tor/primary_db
                                | 4.1 kB     00:00
http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/rpm/el/6/i386/repodata/954636937b2fab5e61880b5e2e74766d3d06d3625a7048b4e4379d3bc74aac22-primary.sqlite.bz2:
[Errno -3] Error performing checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure:
repodata/954636937b2fab5e61880b5e2e74766d3d06d3625a7048b4e4379d3bc74aac22-primary.sqlite.bz2
from tor: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Duncan