[tor-talk] Tor 0.2.4.21 is released

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sat Mar 1 11:17:53 UTC 2014

Tor 0.2.4.21 further improves security against potential adversaries who
find breaking 1024-bit crypto doable, and backports several stability
and robustness patches from the 0.2.5 branch.

Packages coming soon, at which point I'll announce on the tor-announce
list too.

https://www.torproject.org/dist/

Changes in version 0.2.4.21 - 2014-02-28
  o Major features (client security):
    - When we choose a path for a 3-hop circuit, make sure it contains
      at least one relay that supports the NTor circuit extension
      handshake. Otherwise, there is a chance that we're building
      a circuit that's worth attacking by an adversary who finds
      breaking 1024-bit crypto doable, and that chance changes the game
      theory. Implements ticket 9777.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - Do not treat streams that fail with reason
      END_STREAM_REASON_INTERNAL as indicating a definite circuit failure,
      since it could also indicate an ENETUNREACH connection error. Fixes
      part of bug 10777; bugfix on 0.2.4.8-alpha.

  o Code simplification and refactoring:
    - Remove data structures which were introduced to implement the
      CellStatistics option: they are now redundant with the new timestamp
      field in the regular packed_cell_t data structure, which we did
      in 0.2.4.18-rc in order to resolve bug 9093. Resolves ticket 10870.

  o Minor features:
    - Always clear OpenSSL bignums before freeing them -- even bignums
      that don't contain secrets. Resolves ticket 10793. Patch by
      Florent Daigniere.
    - Build without warnings under clang 3.4. (We have some macros that
      define static functions only some of which will get used later in
      the module. Starting with clang 3.4, these give a warning unless the
      unused attribute is set on them.) Resolves ticket 10904.
    - Update geoip and geoip6 files to the February 7 2014 Maxmind
      GeoLite2 Country database.

  o Minor bugfixes:
    - Set the listen() backlog limit to the largest actually supported
      on the system, not to the value in a header file. Fixes bug 9716;
      bugfix on every released Tor.
    - Treat ENETUNREACH, EACCES, and EPERM connection failures at an
      exit node as a NOROUTE error, not an INTERNAL error, since they
      can apparently happen when trying to connect to the wrong sort
      of netblocks. Fixes part of bug 10777; bugfix on 0.1.0.1-rc.
    - Fix build warnings about missing "a2x" comment when building the
      manpages from scratch on OpenBSD; OpenBSD calls it "a2x.py".
      Fixes bug 10929; bugfix on 0.2.2.9-alpha. Patch from Dana Koch.
    - Avoid a segfault on SIGUSR1, where we had freed a connection but did
      not entirely remove it from the connection lists. Fixes bug 9602;
      bugfix on 0.2.4.4-alpha.
    - Fix a segmentation fault in our benchmark code when running with
      Fedora's OpenSSL package, or any other OpenSSL that provides
      ECDH but not P224. Fixes bug 10835; bugfix on 0.2.4.8-alpha.
    - Turn "circuit handshake stats since last time" log messages into a
      heartbeat message. Fixes bug 10485; bugfix on 0.2.4.17-rc.

  o Documentation fixes:
    - Document that all but one DirPort entry must have the NoAdvertise
      flag set. Fixes bug 10470; bugfix on 0.2.3.3-alpha / 0.2.3.16-alpha.