[tor-talk] Illegal Activity As A Metric of Tor Security and Anonymity

Mark McCarron mark.mccarron at live.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 12:19:43 UTC 2014

Well, let's put this another way.  On a planet, approaching almost 7 billion people, a network exists (Tor) that once had a substantial illegal content available (i.e. child porn, rape and snuff videos, etc.).  Then governments, such as the UK government, announce GCHQ was to assist in cleaning up the dark web.

Within a matter of months, not a single site can be found anywhere on the planet on the Tor network.

Then we also have Snowden, who informs of us PRISM.  An espionage program designed to provide a global view that was developed in parallel to Tor and it just so happens that this is Tor's Achilles heel.

Whether or not you accept the first part of the analysis is irrelevant, what really matters is the latter part and that Tor appears to be designed to integrate into the US espionage apparatus, rather than protect people from it.  Even when this is pointed out, no one makes any moves to correct the situation.

That pretty much tells everyone what they needed to know about Tor and its developers.

Regards,

Mark McCarron