[tor-talk] torbirdy default settings

Lars Luthman mail at larsluthman.net
Mon Jun 30 09:08:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 07:59 +0200, farinet at arcor.de wrote:
> Lunar schrieb:
>
> > The default port of the Tor Browser is 9150. Idea is that you start Tor
> > Browser and then start Thunderbird with Torbirdy. Makes sense?
>
> If so it makes sense. But, for me, an all machines where i installed tor
> (debian, ubuntu, arch) the tor config file (/etc/tor/torrc) always came
> with port 9050 as default.
>
> I quote from the untouched default file 'torrc':
>
> [quote]
> ## Tor opens a socks proxy on port 9050 by default -- even if you don't
> ## configure one below. Set "SocksPort 0" if you plan to run Tor only
> ## as a relay, and not make any local application connections yourself.
> SocksPort 9050 # Default: Bind to localhost:9050 for local connections.
> [/quote]
>
> So????

9050 is the default for the stand-alone 'tor' program. The 'tor' that is
bundled with the Tor Browser uses 9150 to avoid conflicts with any
separately installed 'tor'.

Torbirdy assumes by default that you use the 'tor' that comes with the
Tor Browser instead of a separate one. If you want to use the one from
the Debian/other package, just change the port.

--ll