[tor-talk] Presentation material in LaTeX

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Wed Jun 18 23:12:48 UTC 2014

On 6/18/2014 1:44 PM, Sebastian G. <bastik.tor> wrote:
> 17.06.2014 23:56, fr33tux:
>> Hello,
>>
>> We (jvoisin [1] and me) recently made a presentation about TOR for our
>> school (the UTBM, a french engineering school).
>> There were almost 50 people, and the feedbacks are very positive.
>>
>> The presentation was made with LaTeX and tears, and even if you don't
>> speak french, you can find the slides here [2] and the source here [3].
>> Feel free to borrow whatever you want from it !
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> [1] http://dustri.org
>> [2] Slides : http://fr33tux.org/data/prez.pdf
>> [3] Source : http://git.fr33tux.org/conference_tor_utbm.git
>>

> Thank you for education people about Tor.
>
> I'm unable to read French. However the Tor Project appears to like it if
> Tor gets spelled Tor (instead of TOR). [1]
>
> And the "Tor Browser Bundle" got renamed to "Tor Browser". They removed
> the word bundle.
>
> [1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq.html.en#WhyCalledTor

The "why called tOR" article says,
"/Note: even though it originally *came from an acronym,* Tor is not
spelled "TOR"/.
And why would that be?  Other than in a kind of, "I'd now like to be
known as _The Artist Formerly Known As Prince_" sort of way, who made up
the rule that an acronym would have only the first letter capitalized?
Even HAL 9000 - an "almost alive" computer - used all caps for an
acronym. :-;

Did "they" consider it alive, so Tor is a proper noun, 1st & only name
(like Sting)?
If it's an acronym, it's supposed to be all caps (rarely, all lower
case).  I doubt most people (not suffering from something) really care
if it's Tor, TOR, tOR, tOr...

And newer people coming in may think it a bit strange to make a serious
point, to not spelling it correctly, per widely accepted, international
convention. :D
My name's not Joe, it's jOe.  On rEmUlak, only interior vowels in proper
nouns are capitalized.  The Tor spelling issue sort of reminds me of
_The Anal Retentive Chef_ sketch (phiLL harTMan), on Sat. Night Live.

  * Cooking with the Anal Retentive Chef
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_Saturday_Night_Live_characters_and_sketches_introduced_1988%E2%80%931989#Cooking_with_the_Anal_Retentive_Chef>
    (Phil Hartman <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Hartman>)