[tor-talk] Flash executables keep starting in background when using TBB

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Jun 17 16:23:53 UTC 2014

I'd still really like some help on finding what calls / causes the 2
flash .exe files to start in background.
They're ALWAYS shown by Process Explorer, in the *same process tree -
directly under TBB.*

Is there a way to determine / log, *if another process is calling* those
2 files, or if determine if TBB, or Flash, is calling the 2 files to start?
Even though _no Flash vids are ever played_.  Below - Some additional
replies to previous comments.

On 6/16/2014 7:38 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
> On 6/16/2014 7:02 PM, krishna e bera wrote:
>> On 14-06-16 03:17 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>>> In at least the last couple TBB versions, or longer, I've found
>>> FlashPlayerPlugin_x.x.exe (latest *13_0_0_214.exe) running in background
>>> - numerous times.
>>> Actually, 2 instances of flash exe files are always shown running.
>>>
>>> Biggest question is, what is Flash doing to Tor anonymity in these
>>> cases.  Just because Flash isn't playing doesn't mean it's not
>>> contacting someone, somewhere.
>>> I rarely use Flash - I assume TBB *now comes w/ it installed?*
>>> [snip]
>> >"/Adobe Flashplayer has never come with TBB/."
OK, it probably gets installed in TBB, at same time as for regular Fx,
but it's always automatically set to disabled in both.
I can deal w/ that, or just remove it? each time Flash is updated. But
*figuring out what's going on may lead to bug report for TBB.*

>> >"/Are you sure it isnt the ActiveX plugin that comes with MS-Windows? Or
>> >perhaps it got installed at the same time as you updated the flashplayer
>> >for Internet Explorer/?"
Yes, I'm sure.  Read comment on that - above & below.
>>    "/If not, your computer may be infected with a
>> fake flashplayer.  Many website ads offer them with a button that looks
>> deceptively like the download you may have wanted to click on, or even a
>> drive-by exploit/."
Doubt it seriously.  Other scenarios mentioned are much more likely,
plus nothing was detected.