[tor-talk] Flash executables keep starting in background when using TBB

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Tue Jun 17 00:38:09 UTC 2014

On 6/16/2014 7:02 PM, krishna e bera wrote:
> On 14-06-16 03:17 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
>> In at least the last couple TBB versions, or longer, I've found
>> FlashPlayerPlugin_x.x.exe (latest *13_0_0_214.exe) running in background
>> - numerous times.
>> Actually, 2 instances of flash exe files are always shown running.
>>
>> Biggest question is, what is Flash doing to Tor anonymity in these
>> cases.  Just because Flash isn't playing doesn't mean it's not
>> contacting someone, somewhere.
>> I rarely use Flash - I assume TBB *now comes w/ it installed?*
>> [snip]
> Adobe Flashplayer has never come with TBB.
>
> Are you sure it isnt the ActiveX plugin that comes with MS-Windows? Or
> perhaps it got installed at the same time as you updated the flashplayer
> for Internet Explorer?  If not, your computer may be infected with a
> fake flashplayer.  Many website ads offer them with a button that looks
> deceptively like the download you may have wanted to click on, or even a
> drive-by exploit.
>
> Preventing infections from 3rd party sites is one big reason to run
> either an ad blocker or a more rigorous add-on such as RequestPolicy.

No, I think it's more likely that if Flash plugin is installed for one
version of Fx, it gets installed for all versions of Fx.

That may explain how it gets there, but not why it starts 2 flash
executables in background, when the plugin in TBB has always been, &
still is set at "Never Activate."
It's not like I'm temporarily activating the plugin, playing some Flash
vids, then forgetting to disable it.

As said, I never see the Flash files that run in background, being
*associated w/ regular Fx* - only TBB.  They're always listed under Tor
Browser - in Process Explorer window.
Has to be a bug?  If I catch the files running in background (as process
under TBB), then immediately check TBB plugins status - & it's still
disabled, how could that be?

Again, the same version Flash plugin is installed in regular Fx & those
2 Flash files *never start in background, under it.*

I (maybe) can just remove the plugin from TBB - I rarely use Flash. But
if I keep it in regular Fx - for emergencies - I'll have to keep
removing it in TBB.  Sometimes, I'll forget, cause I don't think of
plugins being installed in TBB.