[tor-talk] Non-free country law preventing Tor from getting donations

krishna e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca
Sat Jun 14 22:50:36 UTC 2014

On 14-06-14 01:00 PM, Collin Anderson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Joe Btfsplk <joebtfsplk at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm not a legal or embargo rules expert, but I wonder if an embargoed
>> country or individuals in it, giving money to a non-profit for which they
>> receive nothing valuable, or that benefits the country financially,
>> militarily or politically, actually violates the spirit of embargo laws.
>>

> Not only the spirit but the actual law. I would not touch the money no
> matter how substantial.

When exporting crypto from USA was illegal, the FreeS/WAN project moved
all development to countries with less repressive regimes[0].  That was
fine for a civilian-funded effort but perhaps wont work well for Tor
Project.

What about forming an international consortium to shepherd Tor, so that
developments can come from and be funded in multiple jurisdictions?
This would also remove some of the odour that any US-based project emits
on international and virtual streets.

[0] http://www.freeswan.org/freeswan_trees/freeswan-1.5/doc/exportlaws.html