[tor-talk] Not prompted to update Tor Browser

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jun 10 23:09:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 10:59:45PM +0000, Delton Barnes wrote:
> I am running Tor Browser 3.6, but have neither been prompted to update
> to 3.6.1 nor 3.6.2.  Usually Tor Browser checks for any new versions and
> alerts you if it is out of date.  I checked and there were security
> updates in 3.6.2.  Is everyone else getting these update notifications,
> but not me?

Short version: you're fine.

See https://check.torproject.org/RecommendedTBBVersions

TBB 3.6.1 was a patch to fix a regression for those who use the
proxy settings:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-browser-361-released
and there was no need to upgrade if you weren't experiencing that bug.

TBB 3.6.2 came out today, and it looks like Mike decided to give it a
little while before un-recommending the older TBBs, so we can have time
to notice if it's broken as some users try to upgrade. (In the past,
he would unrecommend the old ones immediately, and then I'd notice that
the download links were all broken, and it would be a race to see how
many users would complain while I was trying to fix them. :)

--Roger