[tor-talk] Vidallia Issues

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jun 8 01:24:49 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 08, 2014 at 10:16:39AM +0900, Michael Weiant wrote:
> I have been trying to configure Vidalia (on linux Mint 17) to help by
> running a relay. However, I keep running into 1 of 2 problems.

Hi! Thanks for wanting to run a relay. As you have discovered, trying
to set it up via Vidalia is not going to be fun. Vidalia is deprecated
(which is a nice way of saying "outright abandoned"), and you'll be much
happier installing the system Tor package and then editing the torrc file.

> 6??? 08 08:30:40.889 [Notice] Tor v0.2.4.20 (git-0d50b03673670de6)

I notice your Tor version is several versions behind. You might want to
bug your package maintainer to keep their Tor package up to date. (The
Tor packages for Debian are well-maintained.)

> 6??? 08 08:30:40.891 [Warning] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:9050: Address
> already in use. Is Tor already running?

Sounds like you already have a system Tor daemon running? Messing with
running a second one at the same time with Vidalia will indeed bring
confusion.

How many of the instructions on
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-relay-debian
work for Mint? I bet most of them do. Please let us know!

--Roger