[tor-talk] Craigslist now giving Tor the slows, lol

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Wed Jun 4 22:41:49 UTC 2014

On 05/29/2014 09:29 PM, grarpamp wrote:
> Anyone notice/confirm that in the last few days
> Craigslist is now reducing page loads over Tor
> to an unusable crawl? On the order of over two (2)
> minutes per page!

I have a crude hack that periodically determines loading times for
various URLs, while logging exits used with the Stem exit_used.py
script. It uses "torsocks midori -s https://foo.com" to get PNG
snapshots, and "host foo.com" to get IPs to reference exit_used.py output.

I'm seeing loading times for some CL URLs as great as five minutes.
However, I'm using Tor through a VPN chain, and latency may be at fault.
Once I'm satisfied that the setup is stable, I'll create some testing
VMs on a hosted server.

If there are URLs (not just CL) that you would like tested, please reply
here or email me directly.

<SNIP>