[tor-talk] is torrc a manual page now? que?

Öyvind Saether oyvinds at everdot.org
Thu Jul 31 18:18:07 UTC 2014

> Hm? ContactInfo is just a string. You can set it however you like.
>
> Here's the stanza in the torrc file:
>
> ## Administrative contact information for this relay or bridge. This
> line ## can be used to contact you if your relay or bridge is
> misconfigured or ## something else goes wrong. Note that we archive
> and publish all ## descriptors containing these lines and that Google
> indexes them, so ## spammers might also collect them. You may want to
> obscure the fact that ## it's an email address and/or generate a new
> address for this purpose. #ContactInfo Random Person <nobody AT
> example dot com> ## You might also include your PGP or GPG
> fingerprint if you have one: #ContactInfo 0xFFFFFFFF Random Person
> <nobody AT example dot com>

Thank you for this secret information. Please consider adding it to the
MANUAL PAGE since I've had my torrc since 2008 and it's not got any of
that classified information in it.

> Another piece of the problem is that we don't enforce any particular
> info in the ContactInfo line (or even that you set one at all). I
> guess we could send a challenge to the email address, and demand a
> reply, and otherwise set a cap on the capacity that the network will
> assign you. Seems like that would be another barrier to our volunteer
> relay operators, but maybe for exit relays it's worth it.

I don't like this. You are saying you must have a e-mail and reply to
help out. That is a bad thing. A lot of services these days require you
to give them (and sometimes verify) a mobile phone number and I
personally don't use any of those services, sometimes I try to sign up
for such things but end up backing out because they demand too much
info. I see no reason why having a valid e-mail and using it to reply
should be a requirement for helping the Tor network.