[tor-talk] Question about the myfamily variable in torrc

Martin Kepplinger martink at posteo.de
Thu Jul 31 14:09:39 UTC 2014

Am 2014-07-31 01:02, schrieb Cypher:
> I'm about to fire up another exit relay and I want to make sure users
> are protected from picking both of my relays in the same chain. So I
> came across the MyFamily variable in the torrc file. I have two
> questions about how to properly set this variable:
>
> 1. In the docs, it says NOT to use your relays fingerprint. What do I
> use instead and where can I get it?
>
> 2. Do I need to list the current relay in its own MyFamily variable or
> just every other relay I run excluding the current one?
>
> Thanks,
> Cypher

as describen in the manual
https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html.en you use fingerprints
or nicknames. fingerprints are preferred I guess. the format is $fingerpint

You can just maintain one list of all your relays and put the same line
in every torrc. Doesn't matter if the relay itself is in it.

                        martin