[tor-talk] Tor DNS

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Thu Jul 31 12:45:51 UTC 2014

Mike Fikuart:
> My thought was that [hiddenservice].onion would be dealt with by the
> Tor NameServer to return the hostname (derived from public key).

So if I understand correctly, you would like some entity to keep
a directory of human memorizable names pointing to hidden service
addresses.

The problem is this entity will be subject to pression from many
different actors. How should litigation over a unique name be handled?
What if some state decides this site should be censored? This is not a
very good place to be if you care about freedom of communication
(vs. only making money).

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>