[tor-talk] Spoofing a browser profile to prevent fingerprinting

Craw paulus.smirnov at yandex.ru
Mon Jul 28 20:34:56 UTC 2014

Thank you for your answer!

I've just thought a bit about various methods to prevent
fingerprinting browser profile (incl. UA/screen resolution/time
zone/fonts/etc.), and here is two ways I've found:

a) all tor-users have the same browser profile
b) all tor-users have random temporary browser profile

In my opinion our current strategy to reduce among all tor-users
fingerprintable differences is correct. In such case the only that can
 an attacker do to determine one user from other is their Tor IP
address, but if you will often change between them it becomes
impossible for the attacker.
And for variant b), it's much easier to do. A lot of users connect to
web-sites from one exit-relay and have the same Tor IP address, but
different profiles. So even if you will randomly generate new profile
every minute, you have your unique profile so the attacker can easily
determine: this actions made by different users. In contrary, when
everybody has the same profile, it's much harder to do.

About Referer: we shouldn't disable the Referer by default because
many sites rely on it, but I think we should add an option to the
TorButton settings list "Disable the Referer Header". How can I
contact TorButton developers or do it by myself?