[tor-talk] problem with tor in linux mint 17

luo_hei at yahoo.es luo_hei at yahoo.es
Mon Jul 28 18:38:33 UTC 2014

On 07/28/2014 01:34 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 11:06:56AM -0400, luo_hei at yahoo.es wrote:
>> Jul 28 08:51:10.000 [warn] Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 10%:
>> Finishing handshake with directory server. (DONE; DONE; count 10;
>> recommendation warn)
> This indeed means it isn't bootstrapping. My first thought is that you
> have some firewall or iptables rules or something preventing Tor from
> reaching the network.

AFAIK, Mint doesnt implements a firewall and the PC is connected
directly to internet.

>> Jul 28 10:19:01.000 [notice] Tor (git-0d50b03673670de6)
>> opening log file.
> This version of Tor is significantly out of date.
>> Jul 28 10:19:01.000 [warn] OpenSSL version from headers does not
>> match the versi
>> on we're running with. If you get weird crashes, that might be why.
>> (Compiled with 1000105f: OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013; running with
>> 1000106f: OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014)
> This warning could matter a lot -- did you build Tor yourself? In
> any case, "your openssl install is broken" could be related to "your
> Tor couldn't finish any SSL handshakes".

I installed tor from Mint repos, but I have been thinking to get some
source .deb and compile it myself. Asked about this problem in Mint
forums, but got no answers.

Roger D. Vargas
Your mobile phone has more computing power than all of NASA in 1969.
NASA launched a man to the moon. We launch a bird into pigs.