[tor-talk] Android app: Torrific

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jul 27 19:34:58 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 07:43:17PM +0200, CJ wrote:
> Name / legal:
> for now, I didn't get any answer from Andrew Lewman, who kindly
> contacted me???
> I added mentions so that it's clear torrific isn't from Tor Project.
> Maybe that's enough ??? as I don't get answer, I stick with it. We will
> see the outcome, hopefully it will stay as is.

Hi CJ!

The main problem with the name is that it encourages other people to
name their thing with Tor in it too. And then we end up with a bunch
of projects all confusingly named Tor, some of which really shouldn't
be and some of which are probably fine, and it's hard for users to tell
which is which.

So yes, I understand that you like the name, but it will contribute
to more chaos and confusion down the road. Please pick something else.
Historically, we have encouraged people to use names with the more generic
word onion, or onion routing, or "or", to signify that they're not Tor.

I bet people here would be happy to help you brainstorm about names if
you need input. :)

Thanks!
--Roger