[tor-talk] Tor Browser window size

Georg Koppen gk at torproject.org
Fri Jul 25 06:57:18 UTC 2014

Joe Btfsplk:
> On 7/24/2014 3:58 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
>> Joe Btfsplk:
>>>
>>> Should TBB always start in partial window size?
>> It depends on your available screen size. But in almost all cases, yes,
>> TBB should always start in partial window size at least until we find a
>> good way to deal with maximized browser windows (see e.g.:
>> https://bugs.torproject.org/7256).
> Thanks Georg,
> Clearly I've forgotten or never knew why (partial) TBB window sizes can
> be spoofed, but standard multiples for maximized TBB windows *can't* be
> spoofed, instead.
>
> ? Don't a "majority" of users maximize something like browsers, for
> general use?  I've never seen it mentioned that most users leave TBB in
> partial screen.
> I wouldn't think TBB (window size) would be used differently than
> regular browsers (a result of human habit).
>
> I rarely see people using browsers in partial size, unless doing some
> between app operation / comparison.  I'm talking about what the masses do.
>>> Vanilla Firefox starts in maximized mode, if that was the state when
>>> closed (I think).
>>> TBB always starts in partial screen mode, even if last closed while in
>>> full screen.  Many apps remember the last screen size.
>>> Is there an anonymity reason to have TBB  start in partial screen?
>> Not per se, but see https://bugs.torproject.org/7256 for the issue that
>> still needs to get solved first.
>>
> I don't understand your last statement in relation to the bug you linked:

It meant that there is no inherent anonymity reason to start TBB in
partial screen mode. The reason we do that now is that it is the only
way we currently can sort of guarantee that the window dimensions
reported back to a website are properly rounded. Bug 7256 tracks one
idea that would cover maximized windows as well.

Georg