[tor-talk] Why does requesting for bridges by email require a Yahoo or Gmail address?

Joe Btfsplk joebtfsplk at gmx.com
Fri Jul 25 03:28:28 UTC 2014

On 7/24/2014 9:38 PM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 10:29:49PM +0000, ideas buenas wrote:
>> I don't trust Gmail nor Yahoo. Roger, found another way. No excuses, please.
>>
> This actually has very little to do with trust, and (as Roger said)
> these providers were chosen because of the difficulty of creating new
> accounts. Out of curiousity, what are you actually worried about?
> Personally, it is sad that you need a phone number when you create
> these accounts over Tor, but if retrieving bridges is important (and
> it usually is), then there are usually ways to do this safely.
>
> Another distribution method is currently being written and we will
> write others in the future, but please help us provide another way
> (yes, you, please help us if the current situation is unsatisfactory!).
> The more people we can safely help, the better.

I don't understand.  I haven't tried to create an email acct w/ Google in yrs, but as I understand it, unless you have a burner phone, a new acct won't be anonymous.

1) Is it important to have anonymous email to request bridges?  Seriously.  I've never done it.
2) If (1) = yes, --> GOTO (4)
3) No sweat
4) Google is the wrong provider for you. :D