[tor-talk] Android app: Torrific

CJ tor at tengu.ch
Thu Jul 24 10:28:37 UTC 2014

On 07/24/2014 11:20 AM, Daniel Martí wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 09:45:35 +0200, CJ wrote:
>> I was wanting to add the app to f-droid once it's in "beta" state, alpha
>> is maybe a bit early (though it shouldn't block the whole network
>> anymore now with latest release) ;).
> We had apps like davdroid in alpha stage for a long time, it's just a
> matter of making it clear that the app is not yet deemed stable.
>> Thanks for the license headup, and for pushing it to f-droid — means it
>> may be of some interests indeed :).
> I just pushed it, should be available tomorrow morning at the latest.
> Just out of curiosity though, wouldn't it be easier to just add this
> feature into Orbot? Like an extra option or toggle switch to enable the
> blocking of traffic that wouldn't go through Tor.

Thanks for adding thins one on f-droid :).

Regarding your question (as well as Lunar's): yep, completely possible
to add this feature either to Orbot, or AFWall or anything else.

Torrific has two aims:

° personal one: know how to build an android app, play a bit with the
system while find ways to secure a bit more this kind of devices,
without being prejudicial for current apps. And I love having one app
specialized in one task, as for devices.

° community: just show what we can do with our devices, show how easy it
is for people to just take over the control on their phone, phablet or

To be honest, I won't cry if Orbot implements this functionality later
;). I'm not sure if Orbot should manage the firewall (though it's doing
it now, for the transparent proxy thing), as I prefer dedicated app for
special tasks… But that's my PoV I guess.

Also, there are some stuff I want to add to Torrific, as described on
the website.
Among them, probably the most interesting would be to allow a browser to
bypass Orbot, especially for captive portals (ever tried to log-in in
this kind of things through Tor? I did, didn't work well as expected ;) ).
Of course this could also be added to Orbot. But, as said, Orbot is
first of all a Tor connector (well, here again, my PoV ;) ).

That said: point taken. Who knows, maybe I'll submit later some patch to
Orbot in order to add this functionality directly in the app. I was more
willing to play with AFWall, as it already manage the iptables as a
dedicated task.

Thanks again for the f-droid push and interest :).