[tor-talk] apt-transport-tor, hidden service usage to reduce exit load? exit enclaves dead?

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Wed Jul 23 22:08:05 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 11:27 PM, Nusenu wrote:
> I was wondering if it makes sense to use hidden service addresses to
> access apt mirrors instead of going through an exit to reduce the load
> on exit relays?

Interesting, but you obviously add more load to the network then.

> Is the concept of exit enclaves actually dead or would that also make
> sense in this setup?
> Is this website up to date?
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ExitEnclave

More or less.

"The new versions of Tor (> 0.2.3.x) use a new descriptor format
(microdescriptors) allow relays to specify an Exit Enclave policy, but
clients will not use it, therefore voiding the purpose of exit enclaving. "

0.2.3.x is not exactly "new", but other than that the statement holds,
ie. exit enclaving is dead.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/