[tor-talk] Outbound SMTP via TOR?

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Mon Jul 21 09:28:09 UTC 2014

Am 2014-07-21 04:17, schrieb Cinaed Simson:
> On 07/17/2014 07:11 AM, Elrippo wrote:
>> I don't think that this is a problem, if you configure TOR as a
>> transparent proxy with some iptables rules on your Debian based OS,
>> all TCP based traffic is routed through TOR
>>
>> Take a look at the last example
>> https://elrippoisland.net/public/how_to/anonymity.html
>
> An untrusted HTTPS connection? Really?
>
> Anonymity without security?

I assume this relates to Elrippo's documentation. After my understanding
all connections between a TOR-client and a TOR Hidden Service are
end-to-end encrypted and authenticated via RSA-key->TOR Hidden Service
ID/domain.

My main problem is to route the SMTP-/Jabber-client traffic into the TOR
network. It would be great to be able to distinguish between normal
remote host domains and .onion, too.

But still the main goal is a very easy mail setup for average-joes with
secure end-to-end encryption.

--
Best regards,

Renne