[tor-talk] Fast and clean free provider for a couple of HTML pages

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Tue Jul 15 04:38:18 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 09:57 PM, Red Sonja wrote:
> Mirimir:
>> On 07/14/2014 06:06 AM, Red Sonja wrote:
>>> Somebody rose about a month ago this issue. And I haven't seen an
>>> answer. Please, can you name, even in private, some options?
>>
>> How is this related to Tor? Do you want to set up a hidden service?
>
> I don't know about the OP, but I don't have that intention. Only that I
> want to upload some text via Tor and not reveal my location or computer.
> Meaning the host should not know me and my ISP should not know what I am
> uploading.

OK.

>>> I did a search and I get some fancy services giving 20Gb of data and
>>> lots of site making tools. I have a couple of HTMLs. And I would like to
>>> attach an identity to them, not just throw them in some pastebin. I want
>>> Google to find and index them. The traffic would be a few hundred kilos
>>> a day at most.
>>
>> Search for "free web hosting" and you'll find numerous possibilities.
>
> I did. I have no idea how to sort them out.

Well, they're free. So just pick one at random, and try to sign up via
Tor. Repeat until success. Then create a test page, and try to upload
with FTP via Tor. Repeat until success. That's what I would do, anyway.

>>> Also, the same poster, if I recall well asked about how to upload the
>>> site? FTP I recall being not a good idea. How can I upload from Linux to
>>> some cloud service without revealing origin? I know how can I download.
>>
>> See https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/FTP
>> for setting up FTP via Tor. I like FileZilla.
>
> So FTP is safe with Tor? What other protocols are fine over Tor? SSH is one.

That is a very complicated question. See the thread on SSH, for example.
As long as Tor has been properly configured for DNS lookup, any app that
has a SOCKS5 option is probably safe. However, complex apps that use
multiple protocols in the background (such as BitTorrent) are not safe,
except perhaps for highly expert users. If in doubt, use Wireshark to
test for leaks. If you're in a hurry, your best bet is to use Whonix.
Anything configured by default is probably safe, and the documentation
is excellent.