[tor-talk] Questions about NSA monitoring of Tor users.

Mirimir mirimir at riseup.net
Mon Jul 14 02:01:10 UTC 2014

On 07/13/2014 06:57 PM, z9wahqvh wrote:
> [...]

Well, the modern NSA _is_ a Manhattan-scale project. According to

| The Manhattan Project began modestly in 1939, but grew to employ
| more than 130,000 people and cost nearly US$2 billion (about $26
| billion in 2014 dollars).

A Snowden leak reveals that NSA's budget has grown from about 7e+9 USD
per year in 2004 to about 11e+9 USD per year in 2014[2]. The 2004-2014
total is about 91e+9 USD, well over three times the stated total for the
Manhattan Project.

But that doesn't count cleanup costs. For the Hanford site alone,
Wikipedia reports[3]:

| Citing the 2014 Hanford Lifecycle Scope Schedule and Cost report,
| the 2014 estimated cost of the remaining Hanford clean up is $113.6
| billion - more than $3 billion per year for the next six years,
| with a lower cost projection of approximately $2 billion per year
| until 2046.

So, even counting cleanup costs, they're comparable.

Perhaps Mark can add some specifics that haven't come out yet.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Project
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanford_Site