[tor-talk] New Identity Warning without Control Port Access

Patrick Schleizer adrelanos at riseup.net
Sat Jul 12 15:52:16 UTC 2014

Hi!

Nusenu:
>>> I'm running Torbrowser on a system that is transparently routed
>>> through Tor. Is it OK to disable the TorLauncher Addon within
>>> Torbrowser in such a setup or has that any negative
>>> consequences?
>>
>> Using TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH is tested by more people. See:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/WebBrowsers#UseTorBrowserwithoutbundledTorNIX
>
> Thank
>>
> you for this info. This seems to work fine (TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH).
>
> Since I use it I also get a proper error message that tells me that
> Torbutton cannot safely give me a new identity. It does not have
> access to the Tor Control Port.
>
> Is is it considered a bug to *not* display this warning when *not*
> using TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH=1 in transparent torification mode?

I would consider it a bug. But since transparent torification is not in
development focus, I guess no one reported it and has little chances
getting fixed, unless someone writes a patch.

When using transparent proxying, it currently is up to the user to (not)
fix Tor Control Port settings and access.

>>> (background: I can't execute that script multiple times
>>> concurrently to open a new URL in an existing torbrowser
>>> session.)
>>
>> Try this: /home/user/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/firefox --profile
>> "Data/Browser/profile.default" --new-tab "torproject.org"
>>
>> [Soon a tb-launcher package might get released by me for this
>> purpose. Then you can type "torbrowser --new-tab link" and a new
>> link will be opened in existing browser session.]
>
> What is the current state on this?

A lot progress has been made on these packages. The packages have been
created, are currently being tested in Whonix, seem to work fine so far.
But I don't think a lot people have tested them outside of Whonix, such
as on Debian/Ubuntu yet. Currently they can only be created and
installed from source. There is no apt repository for them yet. If you
want to help with testing...

It can be found here:
- https://github.com/Whonix/tb-starter

Rather, you may also be interested in:
- https://github.com/Whonix/tb-updater
- https://github.com/Whonix/tb-default-browser
- https://github.com/Whonix/open-link-confirmation
- https://github.com/Whonix/control-port-filter
- https://github.com/Whonix/anon-ws-disable-stacked-tor

Or other anonymity distribution specific packages:
- https://github.com/Whonix

These packages are produced independently of, and carry no guarantee
from, The Tor Project.

Cheers,
Patrick