[tor-talk] washingtonpost.com: In NSA-intercepted data, those not targeted far outnumber the foreigners who are

C B cb736 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 18:27:01 UTC 2014

Obviously, we do need to anonymize and encrypt everything, but also need to adopt a UN resolution protecting the privacy of individuals - no government may intercept any communication without permission or a signed search warrant, which can only be issued on probable cause, and which must specify where to search and what is being sought. Everything else must be discarded.

It is interesting though, that everything that the NSA does is legal for any individual or corporation to do, and illegal for any government. The reason is governments can arrest you and charge you with a crime - individuals and corporations can not.

In New Hampshire, we prohibit automatic license plate recognition, and prohibit government cameras from recording anyone other than (oddly) at three bridges going to Maine (evidently we still have a border war with Maine concerning the ownership of Seavey's Island, home to the Portsmouth Navy Yard), and at toll plazas. At toll plazas we photograph every license plate, and delete any image that includes a person (not many people in motorcycle sidecarts are leaning over that low anyway), and delete within three seconds the image of any plate of anyone who has paid the toll. Red light, and speeding cameras are completely forbidden. Other states are not as protective of its citizens.

--
Christopher Booth