[tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sat Jul 5 05:55:50 UTC 2014

On 07/05/2014 07:30 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I'm not sure the TorExitGuidelines provide an adequate
> Behaviour FAQ, in the hindsight of recent events.

Again: There is no "hindsight of recent events". There just can't be,
because the court opinion has not been released yet.

It has always been the case that Tor exit operators were threatened,
harassed, received email, had to change ISPs, face seizures, raids, and
lawsuits. Nothing has changed.

If you are European, you will fully understand that a single opinion by
a lowest court HAS NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER.

And, again, HE WAS NOT CONVICTED PURELY BECAUSE OF RUNNING AND EXIT.

read that again

HE WAS NOT CONVICTED BECAUSE OF RUNNING AND EXIT.

Every single character of any of the emails in this thread are PURELY
ASSUMPTIONS.

> - Node operators (relays, entries and exits) are advised to be
> especially careful with their exercise of their right to free speech
> in all public forums. A healthy paranoia is recommended in such public
> circumstances.

Sorry: bullshit.

> - Consider that everything you say in public (and everything on the
> internet is public) will most likely be held against you in a court of
> law, should you (in the extreme case) find yourself as a Defendant in
> a court case where your activities are related to Tor.

That is true for whatever you do, and in no way special to Tor.

> Don't get me wrong: disclaimers and appropriate cautions are good things.

Sorry, but especially the United States is way beyond crazy when it
comes to disclaimers. Not before long and underwear comes with a DON'T
SHIT IN YOUR PANTS label.

> Sorry, I'm ranting now...

Yeah, me, too. Sorry.

> Is it ok to prompt and suggest and debate potential FAQ/site
> enhancements here on tor-talk?

Sure! That's where they everything except code developemnt is supposed
to be discussed! Final, discussed and reviewed patches to the website
can be added to https://trac.torproject.org/ with the Website category
assigned.

Thanks for getting this started! I suggested a separate thread though,
this one is a bit out of control and I bet many will have set their mail
clients to ignore it by now.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/