[tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie.eu no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie.eu
Fri Jul 4 20:02:33 UTC 2014

Hello Tor!

Running an internal relay in Graz since 7/2013, where William Weber's
appartment was raided in 2012, when some idiot misused his exit for
illegal stuff, I became interested in his case. But I know it only
from the newspapers.

The raid took place on Wed, 2012-11-28 (1). William did intensive
blogging afterwards (2)(3), the legal process started, and ended this
week Mon, 2014-06-30, with 3 y probation. I found a German article
which provides a good summary (4, Google Translate).
He was not convicted for operating an exit (!!), what is legal in
Austria. But, according to the opinion of the judges, for
"contribution to delinquency" ('Beitragstaeterschaft' in German):
"(...) that he answered in an interview to the question whether he was
aware that Tor could be used for distribution of child pornography,
responded at a conference: "I do not give a fuck.(...)"
"(...) that the prosecutor quoted from chat logs in which he for
anonymous hosting of everything, including child pornography,
recommended Tor (...)" (4)
- --> The proofs for such an attitude are not really helpful when
getting to court.

Anyway, if you would like to help him with his lawyer costs, he takes
Bitcoin donations (5).

Perhaps next time it's you, or me, or ...

Best regards

Anton

1)
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/tor-operator-charged-for-child-porn-transmitted-over-his-servers
2) http://raided4tor.cryto.net
3) http://rdns.im
4)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffuturezone.at%2Fnetzpolitik%2Fstrafe-fuer-tor-betreiber-grazer-urteil-wirft-fragen-auf%2F73.173.618%2Fprint&edit-text=
5) http://raided4tor.cryto.net/donate

- --
no.thing_to-hide at cryptopathie dot eu
0x30C3CDF0, RSA 2048, 24 Mar 2014
0FF8 A811 8857 1B7E 195B 649E CC26 E1A5 30C3 CDF0
Bitmessage (no metadata): BM-2cXixKZaqzJmTfz6ojiyLzmKg2JbzDnApC