[tor-talk] BlackHat2014: Deanonymize Tor for $3000

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Fri Jul 4 02:01:55 UTC 2014

On 07/03/2014 16:17, Adrian Crenshaw wrote:
> Best guess, many client side and web app attacks Tor can't do much about.
> (My talk at Defcon will cover a bunch of folks that got Deanonymized, but
> in every case it was not Tor that was really broke)

This actually depends on what to mean by "Tor". If just the network
level part, then yes. But tor project also provides and promotes TBB,
which attempts to prevent various client side exploits and web app
attacks, but apparently can't prevent all of them. If tor project went
one step further, and developed security-by-isolation approach (using
virtual machines, like Whonix does), this could prevent practically all
client side exploits. And pretty much the only way user could be
deanoned is if he himself typed in his personal information, or logged
into some service shared with other identities.

Yuri