[tor-talk] Tor Exit Operator convicted in Austrian lower court

C B cb736 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 19:23:00 UTC 2014

I agree that collecting stories about "why/how I use Tor" is useful, but I disagree that any special education or warning should be needed before setting up an exit node. Setting up an exit node is simply providing another IP that can be used for traffic and nothing else. It is useful to provide warnings about protecting your own traffic, and protecting your own computer against attack from traffic to your exit node. For a while I was able to set up an exit node and run it for about 4 days at a time before Windows got clogged up and I needed to reboot to keep the computer from locking up. The only thing I had to do was change my IP address, as whatever IP address I was using for Tor gets tagged and blocked by many sites (unreasonably, but still done).

But then I started receiving immediate attacks that shut down the node. I am not sure if those were coming from my ISP or from outside, and I am not interested in notifying my ISP that I am operating an exit node - what I do with my Internet connection is my business, not theirs. I am not the least bit concerned of any legal issues associated with operating an exit node, because any concerns are blatantly unreasonable. Basically Tor, and https, are just necessary mechanisms for using the Internet, and nothing else. Boo hoo that no one can see what you are doing. That is just too bad. Everyone has the right to privacy. I list public key cryptography as the most important invention of the 20th century, because it allows privacy in the digital world. The same privacy that was obtained centuries earlier by sealing a letter with hot wax and a monogram seal.

--
Christopher Booth